Architecture and Built Environments
Architecture and the Built Environment spans disciplines, from the perspectives of design, construction, sustainability and environmental impact.
Our design teaching is specialised on building design and specification development, with a strong sustainability focus. We have the possibility to develop innovative block learning for design studio work and modelling. For 2016, we are able to offer our new BSc in Architecture, enabling study in a new location in Wales.
Built Environments BSc | HND
- Architectural Technology
- Building Surveying
- Civil Engineering and Environmental Management
- Project & Construction Management
- Quantity Surveying
Foundation in STEM
Post Grad MSc
Our built portfolio covers a wide range of professions within the sector. Our school has strong industrial links, therefore students are able to work with real-life case studies. Studies are focussed on industry need and are applied in nature. We are already accredited with the Chartered Institute of Building and have agreement with the Building Research Establishment for their BREEAM scheme teaching; further linkages are under development.
Studying in Swansea is not just about academic excellence although this is extremely important. It's about the whole expertience of living as a student in the area - the excellent night life, great shopping, friendly locals, low crime levels, stunning scenary, amazing beaches and excellent road and rail links.
Come to an open day or book yourself onto one of our Taster Days and see for yourself.
Our links with the industry are extensive and during the course, we offer our students a unique opportunity to gain practical experience working on live projects. These projects address contemporary issues facing the sector, thus having tangible impacts and enhancing students’ employability skills. These partners also provide guest lectures, providing an insight into the current challenges and opportunities facing the sector.
Student could attain the necessary core skills to prepare them for a career in technical and managerial positions in a construction-related field, such as, Architecture, Building Management, Building Surveying, Facilities Management, Conservation Agencies, Public Sector, Conservation Consultancies and Quantity Surveying, etc. Since 1998, former students have been employed in various environmental organisations including: RSPB, Environment Agency, CCW - Countryside Council for Wales, Local Authorities, Ecological Consultants, Sustainability Officers, Waste and Energy Management.
The overriding focus of our courses are on providing the student with practical knowledge and skills relevant to the needs of the industry.
The University of Wales Trinity Saint David offers modern and exciting programmes in a location that is second to none. Located by the sea, Swansea is Wales’ premier waterfront city and is a great place to spend your university years. As one of the most vibrant yet affordable cities in the UK.
The programme team is committed to offering the students a varied and innovative learning experience to help harness student potential and develop appropriate academic and vocational skills. Examples of such approaches are:
- Industrial links with the BRE Academy.
- EU funded collaboration with six universities to teach coastal management COZIP – Coastal Zone Intensive Project in Turkey, Ireland, Southampton, Malta and Spain.
- Waste and Travel Projects for the City and County of Swansea, Wales.
- Tree project at World Heritage Site, Blaenavon.
- Various reviews of local habitat management with professionals in the field.
- Earth Watch student Scholarships.
- Environment Week and Student Environment Society.
- EU funded Azores whale watching project.
- Collaborating with Marine Life Information Network for Britain and Ireland on rocky shore surveys to investigate global warming.
- Students have published/presented work in academic journals/conferences from each year.