The University of Wales Trinity Saint David employs Student Ambassadors as part of the University’s widening access strategy and its work within the Reaching Wider Reaching Higher Partnership. A second strand to the work is within Marketing and Recruitment.
Widening Access activities aim to encourage people to consider Higher Education by raising their awareness, aspirations and achievement levels. They also aim to support the Welsh language, culture and bilingualism within Higher Education.
Student Ambassadors assist in widening access activities with young people studying in secondary schools and Further Education Colleges as well as within the wider community. These activities are aimed particularly at people who are not considering Higher Education although they have the potential to benefit from it.
The events may take place on the University’s campuses, at a school or college or out in the community. Events may be general or subject specific. There may also be events for the young people’s parents or carers. Events in schools or colleges may include mentoring and supporting after schools clubs and activities.
The majority of projects will require Student Ambassadors, after training, to work with small groups of school or college students to:
- encourage them to consider Higher Education as an option for the future;
- facilitate small group activities;
- lead group discussions;
- give guided tours of the campus;
- supply information and answer questions relating to life as a student.
There will be training and briefing sessions prior to each event, which it is essential everyone attends.
Student Ambassadors may also be employed to promote the University at events such as Higher Education Fairs, Open Days, UCAS events etc. This work will be offered by the Marketing and Communications Unit.
All student ambassadors will be interviewed.
The current rate of payment is £7.20 per hour. Please see below for a job description and person specification.
Closing date: 17 October 2016
For more information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- To assist Marketing & Communications in the delivery of Open Days, Campus Visits and UCAS Visit Days.
- To assist Widening Participation and Marketing & Communications in the delivery of school & college visits to the University.
- To assist the Alumni Relations Team in the delivery of alumni events and other related activities e.g. the sale of University branded merchandise at Graduation.
- To visit schools and colleges and actively participate and assist in the delivery of activities and presentations.
- To give short presentations to large groups of pupils and assist small groups of pupils with activities.
- To develop an awareness of the University’s wide range of courses, general issues on student life and internal developments outside your immediate subject area.
- To support practical activities with younger students in and outside the University on local and national initiatives.
- To assist prospective students in their understanding and interest in higher education by acting as a positive role model.
- To motivate and raise the aspirations of students participating in the activities. This work involves becoming aware of the barriers that some pupils face which may prevent them from accessing higher education.
- To act as a positive role model for higher education and The University Wales Trinity Saint David
- To assist the Student Experience Team where you may have the opportunity to support projects and initiatives related to improving the student experience including the Life Design initiative.
- A current student at The University of Wales Trinity Saint David
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Ability to present to large groups of people
- Ability to work alone or as part of a team
- Ability to use your initiative
- Mature approach to dealing with potentially sensitive situations
- Knowledge of the education system
- Knowledge of issues affecting young people
- Knowledge of Widening Participation
- Understanding of alumni
- Experience of working with a variety of people from different cultures,
backgrounds and ages
- Experience of customer service skills
- Experience of working with young people
- Inspirational about higher education
- Enthusiastic (particularly about UWTSD and life as a student here)
- Available to attend compulsory training day
In addition, all ambassadors will be required to obtain an Enhanced Disclosure from the Criminal Records Bureau