BA Theatre Design and Production
90% of UWTSD’s Performing Arts students agreed that their course has course has provided them with opportunities to apply what they have learnt - NSS 2017.
Creating practical designers, creative technicians, and intuitive makers
The BA Theatre Design & Production degree is a practical, hands-on programme designed to build upon a broad foundation of production skills right through to producing performances. The course enables students to explore, design and create exciting new work alongside industry professionals.
Why choose UWTSD?
- Practical vocational training for the creative industries
- Taught by industry professionals from day one of your degree
- Practical assessments - no exams
- Small, friendly and creative campus
- Fully equipped scenic workshop, costume, and design studios
UCAS Code: W460
Institution Code: T80
Tuition Fees for 2018/19:
£9000 (Home/EU students)
£11000 (Overseas students)
Scholarships and Bursaries
Faculty of Humanities and Performing Arts
The BA Theatre Design and Production degree has so much to offer. Since graduating I have worked in many unusual spaces including London’s oldest pie & mash shop, a derelict art school and Shakespeare’s Globe. I would not have been given these opportunities without the necessary experience that I gained during my time at UWTSD. It’s so much fun and has given me a really awesome career where I never know what’s around the corner!
The Theatre Design & Production course has certainly prepared me for a long and successful career in the creative industries. I have achieved more than I ever thought I could here, and I cannot recommend this journey enough.
The BA Theatre Design & Production degree is a practical, hands-on programme designed to build upon a broad foundation of production skills right though to producing performances. The course enables students to explore, design and create exciting new work alongside industry professionals.
The key principle is developing graduates who have a well-rounded and solid knowledge base, are skilled in more than one area and ready to engage in the wider performance sector.
In your first year you will explore a variety of production skills in areas such as Costume, Stage Management, Scenic Construction, Lighting & Sound, Theatre Styles and Scenic Art in order to have a broad set of foundations.
The second year concentrates on the application of these skills in a variety of projects and installations before giving to oppotunity for students to specialise in a particular discipline for an entirely production-based final year. Optional work placement modules in the second and final year have increasingly led to employment opportunities with companies such as Welsh National Opera, The Torch theatre and National Theatre of Wales.
Throughout the degree there is flexibility to allow each student to specialise and explore their own path way. Offering a variety of work placement opportunities, study abroad and projects to make sure each student gets the experience they want and the support into employment.
"The course offered us many work placements and has allowed us to transfer and adapt our skills"
- Principles of Design (Model Making)
- Scenic Construction
- Stage Management (Props)
- Costume & Scenic Art (Hair & make-up)
- Lighting & Sound
- Theatre Styles
- Digital Processes
- Design Process
- Scenography - Stage Design Realisation
- Individual Theatre Practice
- Production Project
- Performance Industry
- Touring Theatre
- Main-house Theatre
- Site-specific Theatre
- Professional Practice
There are many reasons to choose the BA Theatre Design & Production course, including:
- Rigorous training, practical study, a supportive atmosphere and personal attention - always a name not a number!
- Extensive team of theatre professionals work within Performing Arts as Directors, Designers and specialist tutors
- Opportunities to work with professional theatre companies and practitioners in order to develop your skills and career prospects
- Excellent facilities including the 375-seat Halliwell Theatre with its accompanying studios and large workshop spaces
- Visits to major UK theatres & exhibitions to enhance your knowledge and experience
- We host a variety of student and professional productions and projects every year
- Touring theatre companies visit the University regularly throughout the academic year
- Study abroad available in the United States and Canada
Who have our students & graduates worked for?
- Welsh National Opera
- Torch Theatre
- National Theatre Wales
- Theatre by the Lake
- Theatr Na N'og
- Bush Theatre
- Scamp Theatre
- Aztec Events
- Imagine Theatre
- Marigold Costume
- Bay Studios
- Plus many more...
Full Time -
Freelance/Part time -
- Alice Freeman
- Steve Dennis
- Dave Atkinson
- Beth Tearle
- Carys Tudor
- Jake Linzey
- Jon Morgan
Continual assesment through practical work, performances, tasks and process workbooks - no exams or dissertations.
You will be invited to visit the University to discuss the course and present a portfolio of your work (digital or physical)
The programme requirements are a minumum 64 UCAS points, however we are keen to judge each application on merit, and thus entry is based on individual basis.
There are a variety of oppotunities within the Performing Arts, which include -
- Theatre Designer
- Scenic Artist
- Scenic Construction
- Stage Management
- Wardrobe Supervisor
- Events Management
- Arts managment
- Postgraduate study/research
Here is what our graduates say about the course -
"The BA Theatre Design and Production degree has so much to offer including modules such as site-specific theatre, which was a particular favourite of mine. Since graduating I have worked in many unusual spaces including London’s oldest pie & mash shop, a derelict art school and Shakespeare’s Globe. I would not have been given these opportunities without the necessary experience that I gained during my time at Trinity. It’s so much fun and has given me a really awesome career where I never know what’s around the corner!" - Sarah Phillips
"The Theatre Design & Production course has certainly prepared me for a long and successful career in the creative industries. I have achieved more than I ever thought I could here, and I cannot recommend this journey enough.” - Becca Moore
UK/EU Tuition Fees
Visit our UK/EU Tuition Fees section to find out more.
Overseas Tuition Fees
Visit our Overseas Fees section to find out more.
Bursaries and Scholarships
You may be eligible for funding to help support your study. To find out about scholarships, bursaries and other funding opportunities that are available please visit our Bursaries and Scholarships section.
You will not be expected to pay for materials or studio fess but will be given a kit list to buy in order to start the course. These are thing such as overalls, steel toe capped boots and a few tools which will begin to form you professional tool kit for the industry.
Embrace the opportunity to spend a semester abroad at universities in USA or Canada. We have exchange links with the following institutions -
- California State University, Fullerton
- California State University, Long Beach
- Universtiy of New Mexico, Albuquerque
- University of North Carolina, Grennsboro
- Douglas College, Vancouver
Members of -
- ABTT (Association of Theatre Technicians)
- SBDT (Society of British Theatre Designers)
- SMA (Stage Management Association)