The BEng Part-time Manufacturing Systems Engineering programme has been developed very closely with local manufacturing companies to meet their specific needs.
The aim of this manufacturing course is to develop students with a sound knowledge of manufacturing technology materials and the underlying engineering principles that shape current industrial approaches. In addition, you will learn an up-to-date management of quality and manufacturing systems.
Manufacturing Systems Engineering, Part-time (BEng)
If you are interested in applying, complete an application form and send it directly to Ian Hall firstname.lastname@example.org in registry and to programme director Dr Arnaud Marotin email@example.com
Manufacturing Systems Engineering, Full-time (BEng)
Book an Open Day Book a Taster Day Request Information
Why choose this course
- Programme shaped in partnership with Industry.
- Lectures are delivered every Friday afternoon, 1 pm -7 pm, to fit with Industry working week.
- Extended academic year to complete the BEng part-time in just 3 years if coming with an HNC, 4 years if starting at Level 4.
- The Engineering Department has over 19 years of experience in delivering successful part-time Programmes.
- Study on our state-of-the-art £300m Swansea Waterfront campus (SA1).
What you will learn
The programme is designed to fit with one working week, so classes are scheduled on Friday afternoons in the new SA1 Waterfront Development from 1pm to 7pm. Being over an extended academic year, studying 42 weeks of the year, means that students are making the most of their time at work and University.
Our industry-focused curriculum aspires to produce engineering industry leaders of tomorrow.
- Engineering Science 1 | 20 credits
- Engineering Science 2 | 20 credits
- Mathematics | 20 credits
- Engineering Design | 20 credits
- Materials & Introduction to Manufacturing Technology | 20 credits
- Engineering Applications & Study Skills I | 20 credits
- Group Project | 20 credits
- Management Innovation & Sustainability | 20 credits
- CAE & Stress Analysis | 20 credits
- Control & Automation | 10 credits
- Dynamics | 10 credits
- Manufacturing Design & Technology | 20 credits
- Manufacturing and Quality Systems | 20 credits
- Major Project | 40 credits
- Advanced Computational Methods | 20 credits
- Advanced Stress Analysis & FEA | 20 credits
- Plant & Asset Engineering | 20 credits
- Advanced Processes | 10 credits
- Advanced Manufacturing Systems | 10 credits
Students are taught through a series of lectures, tutorials, laboratories and practical sessions. Assessment of progress is made through assignments, exams and individual projects.
One of the main parts of the final year will be the final year project. This is a work-based project that will allow students to use the knowledge built up through the course to solve a genuine workplace-engineering problem.
Mechanical and Manufacturing Video
Dr Arnaud Marotin (Programme Director)
A-level Mathematics and suitable science subject, BTEC National Diploma in Engineering or an engineering foundation year are the traditional requirements. We will consider a range of alternative qualifications or experiences.
Students holding an HNC, HND or equivalent are granted direct entry to level 5. Each application and professional work experience is considered on an individual basis. We will also want to see that you are enthusiastic and motivated to take this course and that you have the potential to benefit from part-time study, which can support your career development.
The School of Engineering has provided very successful part-time BEng programmes for almost 19 years. The portfolio currently consists of three programmes – BEng Manufacturing Systems Engineering, BEng Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering and BEng Materials Science.
One of the most notable effects on the employability of students on the school’s part-time BEng programmes is the marked career enhancement that has resulted. A high proportion of the students have been promoted at least once during their time on the programmes and often again on graduation.
No additional cost
- Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering - MEng | BEng
- BEng (Hons) Materials Science
- HNC Advanced Manufacturing Operations
Richard Hughes | BEng Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering to MSc Lean and Agile Manufacturing | Tata Steel
“I started with Foundation and even got an Engineering Maths tutor through the summer and started the following September. I did both the BEng and Masters in 7 years and my pay more than doubled before I finished. I have moved from Operator to Site Manager, Contracts Manager to the Work Shift Management Team. The tutors are fantastic, and I can’t thank them enough. Amazing support, often happy to stay behind for one-to-one support. I was able to apply the theory at work and saved the company a lot of money. The BEng project saved £75,000 a year and the MSc made savings of £680,000 a year; with an initial investment for equipment of £33,000 for a leaner environment. UWTSD in three words: Life Changing Experience”