Be my guest!
This unique 2 year programme combines professional vocational training & academic learning, enabling students to undertake paid industry experience within the Tourism and Hospitality Industry alongside their academic studies at University.
The programme is also open to tourism and hospitality professionals who are currently working in the industry and wish to gain a higher qualification whilst continuing their employment. Similarly, the programme is also open to tourism and hospitality organisations who wish during the quieter winter months to provide additional training opportunities for their workforce whilst still allowing them to continue working part-time and return full time for the busy summer season.
The learning experience is divided between University and the workplace with students working in industry approx 20 hours per week term time from September through until Easter alongside up to 10 hours per week at University.
Over the summer season, they will be available to work in the Tourism and Hospitality full time in order to meet industry needs if they so wish. Alternatively, students may prefer to undertake an international placement opportunity for 8 weeks to 4 months over the summer season to provide them with an alternative global experience and increase their learning and development.
This programme focuses on developing the student’s practical industry skills whilst also enabling them to take up the opportunity if they wish to gain accredited international industry experience during the summer months to help them secure operational or supervisory careers.
International Tourism and Hospitality Management (Foundation Degree)
UCAS Code: ITO5
Apply via UCAS
Book an Open Day Book a Taster Day Request Information Apply Now
Why choose this course
- A unique opportunity to combine academic learning with paid employment which is directly related to the students Tourism & Hospitality studies. This may appeal to students who need to earn money whilst studying, those already working in the industry or to organisations who want to give their staff the opportunity to develop their skills and learning during the winter months whilst the business is quiet but still be able to commit full time during the tourism season.
- Unlike many Foundation degrees, the placement experiences will be paid positions, and unlike Apprenticeships, they will attract industry salary scales as well as possible student funding.
- Students are offered unrivalled global placement opportunities with leading international travel & tourism organisations in order for them to gain operational experience and develop the professional skills as part of an international placement programme or they can spend the summer season working in the local tourism and hospitality industry.
- The world’s our lecture theatre - the programme utilises innovative and creative learning opportunities to enable students to regularly experience behind the scenes within the industry. This enables us to use local and international field study visits to bring the learning alive.
- The School of Tourism & Hospitality has over 25 years experience delivering cutting edge professional programmes in Leisure & Tourism focusing on promoting guest service excellence and empowerment from the outset.
- The industry experienced teaching team provide a friendly and supportive approach to University life especially for those who are returning to academic studies after either working or taking a career break.
- Guardian number 1 in Wales for Tourism, Events & Hospitality.
What you will learn
This unique programme will provide students with professional industry skills and knowledge alongside their academic studies in order to to help them develop their career opportunities within the Tourism & Hospitality Industry.
The programme has been developed through close consultation with students and industry to meet the needs of local industry and the aspirations of students.
Management and marketing are introduced from the start of the programme. Issues are considered from a global and local perspective as well as developing up to date industry-based skills including social media.
The cutting edge programme focuses on guest service excellence from the outset and provides students who are interested in global opportunities with an excellent range of inspirational and challenging summer placement opportunities. These experiences, along with the ongoing work experience are designed to develop the student’s professional and operational skills.
As well as the ongoing industry experiences full-time placement are integrated within level 4 and 5 in order to enable students to focus on progressing their professional skills development and their management understanding and academic knowledge. These can be local with the work-based learning organisation or international internships.
Innovative and creative learning environments ensure that the programme brings the student’s learning alive. By making the World our Lecture Theatre students are able to experience behind the scenes at tourism facilities and destinations in the UK and internationally as well as engaging in networking events with industry leaders.
On successful completion of their studies, students may elect to return to University to complete a 1-year degree top-up year or complete a 2-year sandwich programme which will include a year full time in industry in the UK or overseas.
- Workbased Learning
- UK Tourism Industry
- Hospitality and Guest Service Management
- Leisure Marketing
- Principles of Managing Tourism Organisations
- Academic and Industry Skills
- International Travel Operations Management
- Applied Professional Development for Placement
- Applied Industry Placement
- Key Skills for Employability
- Management in Practice
- Sustainable Tourism & Hospitality Management
The programme will be assessed through a structured mix of practical assessments, case studies, management reports, presentations, essays, travel reviews, dvd/videos, travel blogs, feasibility studies, projects, exams, bid pitches and the opportunity to plan, organise and assess travel and tourism trips & experiences.
Assessments will wherever possible be designed to develop professional skills as well as developing critical thinking, leadership, management, guest service and team work in preparation for industry careers.
Swansea Business Campus
#TourismOnTour Malaysia & Singapore
Going Places Together with Qatar Airways, Cardiff Airport & the University of Malaya Wales.
At UWTSD Tourism in Swansea we make the World your lecture theatre. To discover more watch this short video taster of the International Tourism Educational Tour which brings the student’s learning alive & see the world like never before. Thanks so much for your help!
44 UCAS points
Grades are important however offers are not based solely on academic results. We are interested in creative and dedicated people who demonstrate a strong commitment to International Travel & Tourism as well as those with significant relevant work experience. To assess the suitability of a potential student we. May arrange interviews for you to share with us your skills, achievement and life experiences.
The flexibility of the programme, focus on industry opportunities, practical ongoing work experience, internships & graduate placement support empowers students to gear their studies to their own career ambitions and personal circumstances.
The constant interaction with employers and focus on guest service and professional employability skills provides students with the opportunity to realise their career potential through their studies.
On graduating students from this programme will be ready to embark on an operational or supervisory career within Tourism & Hospitality or go on to study for a 1 or 2-year top-up degree.
Future career pathways may include:
- Tourism Management - Attractions, International and local Hotels, Holiday Parks, Events, Conventions, Festivals, Tourist Boards and local tourism and hospitality organisations.
- Travel Management - Airlines, Airports, Tour Operators, Travel Agents.
- Students may return to their employer on a permanent basis at the end of their studies.
£200 up-skilling Bursaries are available for students to apply for to support their skills development and students may also be eligible to apply for the Discover Project to support International Mobility to support short International Placement Experiences
Visit our Scholarships and Bursaries section to find out more.
The programme includes the opportunity to undertake integrated international placements during level 4, 5 & 6 in order to gain specialist industry experience and to develop the students professional skills.