The foundation year offered by the faculty of humanities has been designed to help you develop the skills and subject specific knowledge needed to undertake a degree course and specialise in a specific area.
Pathway Options and How to Apply
UCAS Codes & Joint Honours Options
UCAS Code: V901
Apply via UCAS
Ancient & Medieval History
UCAS Code: V115
Apply via UCAS
Ancient Civilisations with Foundation Year
UCAS Code: ACF1
Apply via UCAS
Classical Civilisation with Ancient Egyptian Culture
UCAS Code: QQ84
Apply via UCAS
Book an Open Day Book a Taster Day Request Information Apply Now
Why choose this course?
- We offer small class sizes allowing for excellent interaction and discussion, as well as unsurpassed support from the tutors – the kind which simply cannot be achieved in big lecture halls full of students.
- We are one of the few universities across the UK to offer students the opportunity to focus on culture and civilisations rather than just history and archaeology.
- Having such a wide range of related subjects under one roof allows us to draw upon the experience of our various lecturers in areas such as Archaeology, Ancient history and mythology, religious and Islamic studies, philosophy and Chinese studies to provide a unique and diverse programme that will provide something of interest to everyone.
- Students have the opportunity to go on field trip modules where we explore wonders of the ancient world in person.
- We are based on an amazing campus, rich in history and set in a great location with enthusiastic, dedicated lecturers, all of which sets out to make your time at university a unique and special experience and start you out on an exciting career.
What you will learn
Suitable for those returning to education after some time away or those who arent sure what area within Humanities they want to explore further. Its range of generic study skills mixed with subject specific modules means that you can progress on to your level 4 learning with confidence as the course will give you a taste for a few different humanities courses we have to offer, making the decision for progression easier.
Lampeter Programmes and Events
Humanities | The Lampeter Difference
Grades are important; however, our offers are not solely based on academic results. We are interested in creative people that demonstrate a strong commitment to their chosen subject area and therefore we welcome applications from individuals from a wide range of backgrounds.
To assess student suitability for their chosen course we normally arrange interviews for all applicants at which your skills, achievements and life experience will be considered as well as your qualifications.
You will develop powers of analysis, logical thought and argument within a supportive and encouraging environment. It will be these skills of communication, understanding, analysis and self-management that provide you with a passport into employment. Types of employment could include museum and archive work, journalism, law, banking, local politics, all types of administrative work, marketing and advertising, and teaching.
The Faculty has estimated on the assumption that students buy new copies of the books. Students may also choose to spend money on printing drafts of work.
- Students may spend up to £300 per year on books and additional related materials.
- Students are expected to submit 2 hard copies of their final project, the estimated cost for binding these is £20.
Optional Field trip:
Faculty works to ensure that there are a range of fieldwork and field trip options available both locally and internationally. Thus students can opt to take either more expensive or less expensive placements. The Faculty subsidises these but the cost each year is dependent on airfare, location, and currency exchange rates. Below are the upper end of expected costs based on where students have currently done placements.
- Fieldwork (depending on where student decides to do fieldwork): c. £500 - £1,500
- Individual trips: c. £5 - £50
You may be eligible for funding to help support your study. To find out about scholarships, bursaries and other funding opportunities that are available please visit our Scholarships and Bursaries section.
Please visit our Accommodation pages for more information