Writing a personal statement can be extremely challenging the aim is sell yourself in a professional and appropriate manner.
Between staff and students of the University we have created our top ten tips for writing your personal statement.
- Tell us about your interest in the course and where this has stemmed from
- Go into detail – what have you enjoyed about the subject during your current studies?
- Do you read about the subject in your spare time? If yes, what and why was it interesting?
- Tell us about relevant work experience
- What skills have you gained from your part-time job/work experience/current studies/hobbies?
- Don’t just list your skills – give examples of how you’ve gained them and use them daily
- Keep linking back to the course/subject area
- Don’t talk about things that aren’t relevant
- Use spell check
- Be positive and sell yourself – tell us why you’d be perfect for the course