Postgraduate Loans


Postgraduate Masters Loans

The Postgraduate Master’s Loan funding is now available for UK students.

Funding for postgraduate loans is different in Wales, England, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Postgraduate Masters Loans for UK students living in Wales

Thinking of starting a Postgraduate Master's course this year? Watch the Student Finance Wales videos to find out what you can get, how to apply and what, when and how you'll repay.

A UK student living in Wales starting a full-time or part-time postgraduate Master’s course (taught or research based) can apply for a Postgraduate Master’s loan of up to (as a combination of grant and loan):

  • £18,025 for 2021 to 2022.
  • £17,489 for 2020 to 2021.

Postgraduate Master’s Loans are charged interest from the first day the money is paid to you. You will be eligible to make repayment the April after you have finished or left their course. For information about how repayment for Postgraduate Loans works, go to Repayment of Postgraduate Master’s Finance

If your course starts before 1 August 2019 you will need to apply for a Postgraduate Master’s Loan

Find out about finance available from 1 August 2019:

Postgraduate Masters Loans for UK students living in England

If you are a student living in England you can apply for a loan of up to:

  • £11,570 if your course starts on or after 1 August 2021.
  • £11,22 if your course started between 1 August 2020 and 31 July 2021.

Postgraduate Doctoral Loan

If you’re starting a full-time or part-time postgraduate Doctoral course from 1 August 2021, you can apply for a Postgraduate Doctoral Loan of up to £27,265.

For the latest information on funding for postgraduate study, visit the UK Government’s Postgraduate Study web pages

Find out about:

Career Development Loans

You may be eligible for a Career Development Loan if there is no other funding available to you. If you decide to apply, you should do so three months before your course starts to give the bank enough time to process your application.

  • Professional and Career Development Loans are bank loans to pay for courses and training that help with your career or help get you into work.
  • You may be able to borrow between £300 and £10,000.
  • Loans are usually offered at a reduced interest rate and the government pays interest while you’re studying.

Telephone the National Careers Service on 0800 100 900 to find out which banks offer the loan and order the application pack.

Scholarships & Bursaries (UWTSD)

The University of Wales Trinity Saint David offers a range of bursaries and scholarships which provide extra financial support for students.

These awards include postgraduate scholarships for UK/EU students and for international students, along with specific bursaries for those in special circumstances. All bursaries and scholarships are awarded subject to making a successful application through the relevant office.

Please visit our bursaries and scholarships pages for full details of the funding for which you may be able to apply.

Postgraduate Initial Teacher Education

You can get help with the costs of your teacher training if you're studying a full-time or part-time postgraduate Initial Teacher Education (ITE) course which leads to a qualification such as Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE).

  • Postgraduate ITE courses attract funding in the same way as other undergraduate degree courses. This means that you will be able to apply for tuition fee and living costs support.
  • You may also be eligible to receive certain ITE incentives, or a grant from a research council.
  • Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) are also available if you have a disability, including a long-term health condition, mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty. DSAs are grants to help pay the essential extra costs you may have as a direct result of your disability.

Full-time ITE students can obtain more information and make an application at the Student Finance Wales website:

Part-time ITE students can visit the part-time section of the Student Finance Wales website to obtain more information and make an application.