UWTSD Home - Study With Us - Pre-University Online Courses - Key Stage 3 - Josef Herman: Wales in Drawings and Words
Joseph Herman: Wales in Drawings and Words
With Gwenllian Beynon, UWTSD Science and Art Senior Lecturer
The Central theme of this course is the artist Josef Herman. Students will explore the artist and his work through his drawings and writing. Both of these aspects of Herman's work present many ideas and form a foundation to exploring the way an artist works.
Although art is the central theme of this course, you will be invited to respond to the work of the artist Josef Herman in many ways and across disciplines, for example writing, exploring tones, scale and composition, and at the end of the course you produce a short piece of work based on what you have learnt and finally you will bring all your work together into a digital portfolio.
This course is delivered in 6 sessions
- Introduction: This session will introduce the course and the artist Josef Herman. You will explore mark making, drawing and mapping ideas.
- Josef Herman’s work in Ystradgynlais: This session will explore the importance of place to Josef Herman, with a focus on his drawings of Ystradgynlais in South Wales.
- Remembering & Journey: This session will explore the journey Josef Herman had to take to leave Poland, eventually arriving in Wales. You will consider journey both imaginatively and factual.
- ‘There was a space': In this session you will experimentation with tone and explore scale, shape, space and composition.
- Notes from Wales: This session will give an overview to Herman's work in collections and you will consider his drawings and writing.
- Make your own work: In this session you will develop your ideas to produce a piece of work and you will collect all of your work into a Portfolio.