UWTSD Home - Environment, Archaeology, History and Anthropology - Sophia Centre for the Study of Cosmology in Culture - Staff Profiles - Bernadette Brady
Dr. Bernadette Brady M.A. PhD
Tutor and for the MA in Cultural Astronomy and Astrology. Work responsibilities include teaching and contributing to the design of four of the six module taught modules which includes being the main tutor for the module on qualitative research. In additional to the individual modules she is the dissertation tutor who oversees the procedure and supervision of all the MA dissertation students.
She is instrumental in the Sophia Project online presence both in the video teaching platform and use of Moodle as well as assisting in the design and structure of the Sophia Centre’s web presences. She is also one of the organiser of the Sophia Centre annual Summer School, is involved in the design and lecturing in the London Campus Study Day programme.
- BASR – British Association for the Study of Religion
- SEAC – European Society for astronomy in culture
- ESSWE - The European Society for the Study of Western Esotericism
- BANEA – British Association of Near Eastern Archaeology
Cosmologies, Qualitative research methodologies, the cultural role of the sky in society, the anthropology of land and sky in particular Egyptian astronomy and Celtic cosmologies.
- AHAN 7002 Introduction to Cultural Astronomy and Astrology
- AHAN 7035 Researching Contemporary Cosmologies
- AHAN 7024 Heavenly Discourses
- AHAN 7006 Sacred Geography
Occasional Tutor in:
- AHAN 7003 The History of Astrology
- AHAN 7043 Skyscapes, Cosmology and Archaeology
- AHAN 7023 Astral Religions
- AHAC 4002 Land, Sea and Sky-scape
Overseer and tutor for:
- AHAN 7025 Dissertation in Cultural Astronomy and Astrology
Current Research Supervision - 2nd supervisor
Laura Andrikopoulos: ‘The marriage of Cosmos and Psyche: An analysis of the psychologisation of western astrology during the 20th century’.
Petra De Preez-Spaun: ‘The Afrikaner and the Sky: an investigation into the views held by South Africa’s Afrikaans-speaking people – of the sky, the heavens and astrology: during the apartheid era (1948 to 1994) and in the post-apartheid era (after 1994).’
Research project and interest:
My research interest are primarily the role of the sky within cultures and this takes the form of both historical as well as contemporary ethnographical research. This is express currently in the follow research projects:
- Pilot study team leader and designer of the Welsh Monastic Skyscapes project – ongoing research into the theological implications of sunlight in Medieval Christian monastic communities. http://sophia-project.net/research/wms2.php
- The historical churches of Wales and their relationship to the sky.
- Egyptian sky theology expressed through the Pyramid Text plus additional astronomical material through to the New Kingdom. Papers published by Oxbow 2012.
- The Star of Bethlehem – paper published Slovene Anthropological Society. 2013
- The Cosmology of the Fourth Branch of the Mabinogi. Ongoing research and writing.
- Fate, in particular astrological fate, as a classical as well as contemporary belief system.
- The astrology of Galileo paper published Sophia Press, 2016.
The practice, techniques and cultural implications of astrology ranging through the periods of antiquity, classical, medieval and into its contemporary practice. Naked eye astronomy and sky mythology and its ethno- astronomy implications within both archaeoastronomy arguments and the Egyptian stellar theology, in particular the phases of the stars and their place in cultural astronomy. Qualitative research methodologies and their adoption into other bodies of knowledge, such as archaeoastronomy. The pedagogical issues of dealing with marginal groups.
Professional designer of astrological software
Jigsaw, Astrological Research software, Astrolabe, USA 1990 – 2005.
Starlight, Visual Astronomy and Astrology software, Zyntara Publications 2003.
- The Charles Harvey Award for outstanding service to the field of astrology presented by the Astrological Association of Great Britain in September, 2006
- The Regulus Award for Theory and Understand in Astrology by the USA community at UAC 2008
- ‘The Dual Alignments of the Solstitial Churches in North Wales’ Journal of Skyscape Archaeology (forthcoming 2017).
- ‘Fate.’ In Astrology: An Encyclopedia of Belief and Skepticism in the Stars and Calendars, edited by William E. Burns. Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, forthcoming 2017.
- ‘Gender and Astrology.’ In Astrology: An Encyclopedia of Belief and Skepticism in the Stars and Calendars, edited by William E. Burns. Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, forthcoming 2017.
- ‘House Systems.’ In Astrology: An Encyclopedia of Belief and Skepticism in the Stars and Calendars, edited by William E. Burns. Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, forthcoming 2017.
- 'The Orientation of Cistercian Churches in Wales: A Cultural Astronomy Case Study', Cîteaux - Commentarii cistercienses, 67 (2016), 275-302. Co authored with Darrelyn Gunzburg and Fabio Silva.
- 'Images in the Heavens: A Cultural Landscape', in The Imagined Sky ed. by Darrelyn. Gunzburg (Sheffield: Equinox, 2016), pp. 234-258.
- 'Galileo's Astrological Philosophy', in From Masha' Allah to Kepler: Theory and Practice in Medieval and Renaissance Astrology, ed. by Charles Burnett and Dorian Gieseler Greenbaum (University of Wales, Lampeter: Sophia Centre Press, 2015), pp. 77-100
- ‘The “Song” of a place — a case study of a Welsh high place’, (London: Sophia Centre Press, forthcoming).
- Cosmos, Chaosmos and Astrology : Rethinking the nature of astrology. (London: Sophia Centre Press, 2014).
- 'Star phases: the naked-eye astronomy of the Old Kingdom pyramid text. In: Silva, F. & Campion, N. (eds.) Skyscapes: The Role and Importance of the Sky in Archaeology. Oxford: Oxbow 2013 (forthcoming).
- 'Star-Paths, stones and horizon astronomy', in Stars and Stones, ed. by F.Pimenta and others (SEAC- Forthcoming, 2011),
- Co-authored with Alie Bird, ‘A Niche Degree: a case study of an MA (in Cultural Astronomy and Astrology)’ DISKUS, Teaching and Learning. Vol 14, 2013. 55-69.
- 'Images in the Heavens: A Cultural Landscape', Journal for the Study of Religion, Nature and Culture, 7 (2013), 461-484.
- ‘Images in the Heavens: a cultural landscape’ in The Imagined Sky, editor Darrelyn Gunzburg. Sheffield, Equinox Publications (2016).
- ‘The Star of Bethlehem and Luke's Shepherds: an exploration of the astrological features of the two nativity stories'. In: Šprajc, I. & Pehani, P. (eds.) Ancient cosmologies and modern prophets Ljubljana, Slovene: Slovene Anthropological Society. 2013.
- ‘A Consideration of Egyptian Ascension Mythology as a Reflection of the Mythopoeic Nature of Star Phases and Its Implication for Belief in the Descent of Divine Beings.’ In Current Research in Egyptology Volume Xii, edited by Heba Abd El-Gawad, Veronica Tamorri, Nathalie Andrews, James Taylor and Maria Correas-Amador. Oxford: Oxbow, 2012.
- The Horoscope as an “Imago Mundi’’: Rethinking the Nature of the Astrologer's Map.’ In Astrologies, Plurality and Diversity, edited by Nicholas Campion and Liz Greene, 47-62. University of Wales Trinity Saint David, Lampeter: Sophia Centre Press, 2011.
- ‘Some philosophical roots of determinism in astrology’ in Jupiter, Astronomy, Mathematics and Anthroposophy Vol 4 No 1 (2009) 27-40.
- Chartres Cathedral and the Role of the Sun in the Cathedral’s Christian Platonist Theology.’ In Sky and Psyche, edited by Nicholas Campion and Patrick Curry, 59 – 77. Edinburgh, UK: Floris Books 2006.
- ‘Four Galilean Horoscopes: A Technical Analysis.’ Culture and Cosmos 7, no. 1 (2003): 113-43.
Professional Publications outside of the academy
- ‘Fate, Freewill, Horoscopes and Souls’ The Mountain Astrologer Cedar Ridge, CA, February 2015
- Star and Planet Combinations. Bournemouth, UK: The Wessex Astrologer, 2008.
- Astrology a Place in Chaos. Bournemouth,UK: The Wessex Astrologer, 2006.
- "The Stars and Stripes." In From Here to There, edited by Martin Davis, 168-95. Bournemouth, UK: The Wessex Astrologer, 2008.
- “The Australian Parent-Child Astrological Research Project” – Correlations 20 (2), July 2002.
- Brady's Book of Fixed Stars. Maine, USA: Samuel Weiser, Inc., 1998.
- "Charts of Conflict - Battles, Challenges and Disputes, the Astrology of Guido Bonatti." In Astrology: An Ancient Art in a Modern World, edited by Mari Garcia, 5-14. Adelaide, Australia: FAA, SA Inc. , 1998.
- "Life, Death and the Whole Damn Thing! - the Astrology of Length of Life." In Astrology: An Ancient Art in a Modern World, edited by Mari Garcia, 15-28. Adelaide, Australia: FAA, SA Inc. , 1998.
- The Eagle and the Lark – a Textbook of Predictive Astrology. Maine, USA: Samuel Weisers, 1992.
The Editorial Board of the Correlation.
The Editorial Board of the Journal of Skyscape Archaeology.
SEAC 2014 – Scientific Organising Committee
SEAC 2016 - The Local Organising Committee