Cath Hammerton BA, MA RCA, PG CERT HE, FHEA
Lecturer in Surface Pattern Design/Print
Tel: 01792 481116
- Lecturer in Surface Pattern Design.
- L7 Year Tutor, MDes Surface Pattern Design.
- L7 MA Pathway Lead, Surface Pattern Design.
Since graduating from the Royal College of Art I have worked as a freelance Textile Designer for fashion, before launching my interior product and lifestyle label in 2006.
I have exhibited work all over the world and have been featured in global publications like Elle Decoration, Vogue Living, Blueprint and Wallpaper magazines.
My home product collections have sold in department stores around the world, including ABC Home and Carpets in New York, Le Bon Marche in Paris and Liberty of London. Alongside my home product range, I have worked across bespoke commercial and residential projects for contract clients in the UK and Europe.
I am interested in process-driven innovation within textiles/ surface pattern and how this can enhance the employability of our students.
My teaching encompasses undergraduate and postgraduate levels of study across the Surface Pattern Design programmes through lectures, seminars, workshops and tutorials to facilitate core design practices and principles within printed textile and surface design.
This currently includes:
- The Design Experiment
- Research Methods & Communication
- Creative Venture
- The Thought Experiment
- Collaborative Dialogues
- Explorative Research & Praxis
- Advanced Creative Enquiry
- Major project & External Liaison
- Major Studies A3
- Major Studies A4
My research and practice are embedded in process and materiality, exploring ideas intrinsically linked to colour, image and surface treatments for design outcomes.
I am interested in ideas surrounding the home, heritage and nostalgia, rituals, perception and value as well as the blurring of boundaries between craft and technology production processes, analogue vs digital.
- Merge: Arts, craft, design
- Green Design
- Devil’s in the Detail
Magazines, periodicals and journals:
- BBC Homes & Antiques
- Case De Abitare
- Country Homes & Antiques
- Country Homes & Interiors
- Crafts Magazine
- Eigen Huis & Interieur
- Elle Bistro
- Elle Decoration UK, Hungary & Norway
- Homes & Antiques
- House Beautiful
- House & Garden
- ID Magazine
- Image Interiors Magazine
- Interior Design USA
- Interiors USA
- International Textiles
- Inside Out
- Kitchen, Bedroom & Bathroom
- Marie Claire
- Molly Makes
- Modern Carpets & Textiles
- Real Homes
- The Financial Times
- The Observer
- The Times
- FutureMix Interiors Magazine
- Vogue Living
- World of Interiors
Honours & Awards:
- Camden Council Recycling Award, Camden Council & Cockpit Arts Studios, 2011
- Innovation Award & Bursary, Central Saint Martins University, 2009
- Curators Choice for Product Design, Wayne Hemmingway for the Noise festival, 2006
- Best in Show, Grand Designs Magazine for Origin the London Craft Fair, 2006