UWTSD Home - Institutes and Academies - Institute of Management and Health - Institute of Management and Health Staff - Julia Ault
Julia Ault CertED (QTS), BSc (Hons), ISM, FRSA, AFHEA
Lecturer and Digital Officer
I have just taken up a new role as Lecturer and Digital Officer on the International Hotel Management Programme (July 2022) and I am excited to see where this role will take me.
I have been employed by the university for 14 years; initially as a Senior Learning Technologist in 2008, then as a Lecturer on the flexible, full-time Level 4 Certificate in Higher Education Skills for the Workplace Outreach programme from November 2012 — June 2022.
In addition to my recent roles as both the Graduate Attributes and Learning Technology Co-ordinator for the whole of the Outreach programme, I have also taught Leadership, Management, Business and Digital Skills to a range of diverse student cohorts, both in Wales and online throughout the UK.
All of the programmes I have taught on attract a diverse mix of mature students of all ages, some of whom are returning to learning after some time and with few previous qualifications.
These students need specialised study support and patient, non-judgmental teaching methods to build their confidence and help them acquire new skills to progress in the modern workplace
They also all have the passion and desire to improve their career prospects - and thus their lives in general - and my colleagues and I have always provided on-going, hands-on practical and emotional support and encouragement, to help them to achieve these aims.
I am passionate about empowerment for ALL (regardless of age, gender, background, previous experience, level of formal education etc.) using flexible, blended learning methods — including making full use of technology and social media — to enhance life skills and improve employability.
- Associate Fellow of Higher Education Academy (AFHEA)
- Institute of Leadership and Management
I have taught on the following Level 4 and 5 modules:
- Academic and Employability Skills
- Business Skills
- Professional Career Development
- Effective Team Working and Communication
- Digital Skills and Research Methods
- Problem Solving and Decision Making
- Managing Enterprise in the 21st Century
- Learning in the Digital Era
- Making a Difference
- Creativity and Value Creation (Level 5)
I am a proud Microsoft Office Specialist and my personal research interests include increasing the provision of online learning and Access to Higher Education for mature students from all walks of life.
I am always striving to devise and promote innovative methods (including greater use of online and mobile technologies) to cascade abilities and skills throughout the workplace.
- SWWHEP Project 2008 -2010
- GWELLA HEA Project 2008- 2011
- Digital literacy in education and employment
- Effective use of social media in the workplace and in education
- NEXUS Conference 2022 — Improving online reflective practice 2022
- Seconded to Project Manager role for HEIRF Community Upskilling Project in conjunction with USW, funded by HEFCW 2021
- Using Twitter as your online Personal Learning Network (PLN)
- Julia Ault SlideShare presentations
As a pro-active member of an online Personal Learning Network, I contribute to the sharing of knowledge, information and educational best practice on local, national and global stages. This network has provided a sustainable and enriching personal experience which has considerably enhanced the quality of my own teaching and research.
International Hotel Management