Mrs Karin Manon Mary Thomas B.Ed.Hons Physical Education Major Field
Part-Time Lecturer and Swimming Pool Manager
Tel: 01267 676943
I am responsible for the day to day running of the Swimming Pool and for the content, planning, delivery and assessment of two modules for 1st year students.
I also deliver Lifesaving, First Aid and Swimming Teacher courses to students and staff at different times of the academic year – all essential qualifications for students entering the workplace.
As my office is based at the Sports Centre I also help ( when available) in its day to day management. My presence allows colleagues on duty to undertake work which requires time away from the building.
Teaching on the following modules:
- Aquatic activities – SHSS4075 – Level 4
- Injuries and Chronic Disease – SHSS4063 – Level 4
- Lifesaving, First Aid and Swimming Teaching Governing Body Awards
- Working with the Model Primary School with students and children
- External Examiner for Governing Body Awards
- Attending relevant seminars and conferences
- Coordinating the Summer Sports Camp for children and students
- STA – Swimming Teachers’ Association – (present)
- ASA – Amateur Swimming Association (past)
- BCU – British Canoe Union (past)
- WCA – Welsh Canoeing Association (past)
- RYA – Royal Yacht Association (past)
- On the Aquatics Professional Register (R012093)
- National Curriculum Swimming Tutor (PESS) (past)
- I.L.A.M. – The Institute of Leisure Amenity Management (past)
- R.L.S.S – The Royal Lifesaving Society (past)
- St. John Ambulance Trainer (past)
- Swimming stroke Mechanics
- Leisure Management
- Sports Injuries
- First Aid
I teach mainly Aquatic Activities and First Aid including Sports Injuries. As well as this, I manage the swimming pool at the University and as part of this role I train students in Lifesaving and various Swimming Teaching qualifications which allows them to gain paid work at our swimming pool and other Leisure Centres.
I enjoy teaching people of all age ranges and abilities to swim. Swimming competently is not only an important life skill,it also allows individuals an opportunity to enjoy all the various water sports available. I take great pleasure helping non-swimmers become confident and safe in and around water. I am currently a qualified Swimming and First Aid Tutor and External Examiner.
I lead an active lifestyle and I enjoy a variety of physical activities including cycling, walking, running, kayaking, sailing and skiing to name but a few!! Over the years I have achieved Kayak Coach status, and I’ve had some experience helping to lead students on coasteering and mountain bike trips. Indeed taking part in the Tour Du Mont Blanc on a mountain bike in the Alps and cycling from North to South Wales for charity in one day on a racing bike, were two of the hardest but most rewarding challenges I have ever faced.
Originally trained as a primary school teacher I am now able to welcome local schools to the swimming pool not only to develop their swimming skills but to help undergraduates who aspire to be future teachers to practice how to teach swimming. It is clear that both students and children benefit equally from this opportunity.
Income generation – Swimming pool hired by ‘Likeafish’ Swim Shool three times a week.