Mr Paul Morrow BA (Hons)
Senior Lecturer MA Transport Design Pathway Tutor
Tel: +44 (0) 1792 483674
My role is to encourage unique & conceptual approaches to vehicle design and transportation/vehicle architecture.
2003 – Present. Senior Lecturer Automotive & Transport Design, UWTSD Swansea College of Art
2001 – 2003 Senior Designer & Researcher, LTI R&D, Coventry. Worked on research & design of zero emission delivery vehicles & personal transport leading to the creation of Modec Vehicles Ltd. Designed and modelled the interior for TW100 taxi conversion. Business development and research of Mercedes Vito RWS conversion now manufactured by Penso Coventry.
1996 – 2001 Senior Designer, London Taxis International, Coventry. Design development of TX1 taxi, responsible for TX2 upgrade, initial design work for TX4 and supported design projects with Coventry University. Seconded to AAT Detroit to design and explore opportunities in the US market - PT Cruiser re-body, hot rods and van conversions.
1995 Junior Designer, Hawtal Whiting Design Ltd. Designed an MPV for Discovery Channel TV programme ‘beyond 2000’, Facelift JCB & Enfield motorcycle and design work for various car manufactures.
1982–1992 Applications Engineer - Senior Production Technician, Birmid Qualcast Precision Engineering Ltd. Expertise is metal cutting of exotic materials, CNC programming, design draughting & project planning for Aerospace, MOD, NASA, F1, Motorbike, car and jet engine clients.
1977–1981 Technician Apprentice in Mechanical Engineering - Birmid Qualcast Precision Engineering Ltd. Leicester
2010 Member of the Low Carbon Vehicle Cluster – Welsh Automotive Forum
General interest in the development of innovative and fresh approaches to vehicle design and aesthetics. Cross-disciplinary collaboration with digital and analogue techniques in design.
Currently teach: (BA/MDes) Y1 Creative Design Development, Y1 3D CAD & Visualisation, Y2 Concept Studies, Y2 Vehicle Technology, Y2 Group Design Practice, Y3 Major Project, Y4 Design Experiment & Creative Venture.
(MA) Thought Experiment & Confirmative Praxis (Transport).
- The synergy between fine art sculpture and automotive modelling - How digital tools may help or hinder the 3D creative process.
- Does formal training in creative subjects help or hinder original thinking and unique design approaches.
- I am also keen to be active in creating my own Auto Art sculptures for exhibition.
- Innovative and creative approaches to 3D design. Ergonomic and technical vehicle packaging.
- 3D hard and clay modelling & mixed media sculpture.
- Manual drawing & visualising, digital 2D vector line drawing and 3D CAD.
- Experience in Car, Bike, Boat, Concept Vehicle Design & Sculpture.
- External Examiner, BA (Hons) Transport Design – Huddersfield University, 2008 to 2010
- External Document Evaluation, Coventry University, BA & MDes Transport Design Portfolio - 2009.
- External Examiner, Coventry University, BA & MDes Transport Design Portfolio, 2010 to 2013
Member of the (SMU) UWTSD internal scrutiny panel for various course validation events:
- 2004 - BSc Human Sciences
- 2006 - MA Fine Art
- 2006 - MA Photography
- 2006 - MA Visual Communication
- Concept & Design – Naro Car Company 2007
- Concept & Design – Pembrokeshire Sports Boats 2010
- Consultant & Visualisation - Carbon Dragon Project 2010
- Art in the City – Design of Land Speed Sculpture by David Cushway 2013
Morrow TP, Bailey E & Sullivan A, (May 2004): “A Study and Discussion of the Substantial Role Played By Designers in Underpinning Successful Entrepreneurial Activity.” Cumulus, International Conference on Design Processes and Design Education in Entrepreneurship, Oslo School of Architecture, Oslo, Norway.
Dr Tyra Oseng, Dr Owen Williams, Richard Thomas, David Williams, Professor Kelvin Donne and Paul Morrow. (May 2010): “Quality Implications of Concept Design to Prototype Manufacture of a Low Cost Composite Automotive Panel – a Case Study.”
2008-13 regular articles on graduate shows and industry projects on car design websites
In April 2007, Represented design education as part of a delegation, sponsored by the Welsh Assembly Government: Alternative Fuels & Vehicles – National Conference + Expo 2007, Anaheim Conference Centre California.