Philip Lloyd-Evans BA Hons., Dip RAM, ARAM
Associate Lecturer in Vocal Performance
Tel: 01267 676767
1 to 1 teaching and Group lectures on Vocal Repertoire
Born in Wales, Philip studied at the University of East Anglia and the Royal Academy of Music before embarking on a career that has taken him around the world. He has sung with the BBC Singers, Royal Opera House, Kent Opera, Village Opera, Pocket Opera and Volante Opera. He has performed over thirty roles for Welsh National Opera including Dancaire Carmen, Marchese La traviata, Ping Turandot, Fiorello The Barber of Seville, Yeletsky Queen of Spades, Cappadocian Salome, Father & Sandman Hansel & Gretel, and the Novice’s Friend in Billy Budd.
Philip sings regularly with choral societies throughout the country in a wide range of repertoire including The Messiah (Handel), Elijah (Mendelssohn), The Kingdom (Elgar), St. John Passion (Bach), St. Matthew Passion (Bach), Carmina Burana (Orff), the Requiems of Brahms, Duruflé, Fauré, Mozart and Verdi.
Recordings include Harold Fraser-Simson The Complete Songs of AA Milne, Schubert Abendröte and roles in The Yeomen of the Guard and HMS Pinafore (Telarc), The Children of Hurin, The Fall of Gondolin and Fëanor (Prima Facie), Osud Janacek (EMI), Doctor of Myddfai Maxwell Davies (Collins Classics), Ping Turandot for the S4C series of animated operas, and Wagner Faust for Channel Four.
- Live Music Now Wales Advisory Committee
- Equity (Welsh National Opera Chorus Chairman)
- Lectured at Swansea University and taught at Cardiff University before joining the teaching staff at the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama for 12 years.
- Teaching at WAVDA includes 1 to 1 vocal tuition and repertoire classes across a range of modules.
My current research interests are English Song, Welsh Song, Lieder and compositions for voice and string quartet.
- 40 years of experience as a performer and teacher.
- Extensive knowledge of the repertoire.
- I am a working professional musician performing in a wide variety of genres: opera, operetta, oratorio, musicals, and Church music, recitals, adjudicating. masterclasses, workshops, and recordings.
- Teaching both classical and music theatre genres. Past pupils have performed in the West End, on Broadway, and with Opera Companies throughout the country.