Mr Richard Sutton B.Sc.(Hons), M.Sc., MIMA, MIET, AMIMechE
Lecturer in Engineering Mathematics, Programme Director and Admissions Tutor.
Tel: +44 (0) 1792 481000
- Programme director for the HE STEM Foundation year and foundation year of all 4 year BEng Engineering programmes.
- Lecturer in Engineering Mathematics
- Admissions tutor for Foundation Engineering courses
- Support liaison tutor between the School of Engineering and Student services
- Member of the Institute of Mathematics (IMA)
- Member of the Institute of Engineering and Technology (IET)
- Associate member of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE)
Academic interests include Differential and Integral calculus, algebraic methods, trigonometric methods, complex number theory and classical mechanics.
Current modules taught:
- Foundation Mathematics
- Further Mathematics
- Engineering Science
- Integrating Project
- Analytical Methods with Study Skills
Previous research has included the application of Computer Science to help detect harmful DNA patterns using approximate string searching theory, as well as statistical analysis of the effects of meteorological conditions on businesses in Wales.
Currently, research interests are the effects of mathematics support classes on student understanding and retention.
External lecturer (for Engineering Science) on behalf of UWTSD for the International Foundation Programme (Inlingua).
Worked together with Arnaud Marotin (UWTSD) and Cardiff University to set up a faculty-wide mathematics and science support session.