Ruth M Groff BSc, MPS, MA Registered Accredited BACP, FHEA
Tel: 01792 481000
Programme Director – BSc Psychology and Counselling
I have been part of the Counselling & Psychology Disciplines at UWTSD Swansea since 2009, teaching on undergraduate and postgraduate skills-based and practice-based programmes.
I am a Registered and Accredited Member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). Since 2005, I have been practicing as a counsellor within various voluntary community agencies. I am particularly interested in the area of pastoral counselling/spirituality, restorative practices and enjoy working closely with grass-roots community projects.
I hold a Masters in Pastoral Studies (MPS) and an MA in Pastoral Counselling from Loyola University, Chicago USA. I have gained Continuing Professional Development Certificates in the fields of Spirituality; Cognitive Behavioural Therapy; and Creative Expressive Therapy. Currently, I am in the second year of the Education Doctorate Programme (EdD) - Yr Athrofa UWTSD.
Prior to qualifying as a Counsellor, my professional work was in the management of case managers for a non-profit supportive housing programme located in Chicago. The organisation offered housing to individuals and families who were, or at risk of being, homeless. I developed and managed programmes that addressed issues of addiction, mental health, and domestic violence.
Spending many years working with the social service sector and pastoral care settings has equipped me with a unique set of skills and a passion that enables me to make a valuable contribution to the teaching faculty within the disciplines of Counselling and Psychology.
- Registered Accredited BACP
- BACP Spirituality
BSc Psychology and Counselling
- Introduction to Counselling Skills
- Counselling Approaches and Application – Placement Module
- Reflexive Skills
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
Counselling Skills-Based or Practice-Based Programmes
- Personal Development – Module Lead
- Graduate Certificate Skills in Counselling - Support
- Counselling Practice Modules
- MA Supervisor
- Education Doctorate EdD
- Empathy, Mental Health & Wellbeing in curriculum development in Higher Education
- A collaborator for the Tenovus Innovation Grant C-EVOLVE project: development and evaluation of a virtual reality-counselling world for young people affected by cancer. 2013-2014
- An Evaluation of Arts Engagement Training: Theatr Fforwm Cymru and Small World Theatre. 2012-2013.
- Research contributor of a database project for the Association for Pastoral, Spiritual Care and Counselling (APSCC 2008-2009)
Groff, R. and Hancox, C. (2018) ‘Giving Voice to Soul’ Thresholds. Lutterworth
BACP Spirituality: British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy – BACP(January 2018) pp. 5
British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy - BACP Spirituality Conference: Co-presenter: ‘Working with Soul’. November 2017
Children in Wales National Poverty Conference: Co-presenter: ‘Witnessing the Impact of Poverty on the Emotional and Well-Being of Young People’: A Practical Sand Tray Workshop. 2017
University Wales Trinity Saint David – Lampeter: Spirituality and Well-being Conference: ‘Restoring and Healing Communities’: Restorative Practice. February 2015
I am a practitioner who has over 30 years’ experience working and facilitating with groups in a variety of heath, mental health, education and community settings. ‘Being with’ and allowing ‘voice(s)’ to be heard is at the centre of my practice and research.